I somehow wound up with a pretty ambitious TBR for the month of July. I hope that I can get through all of these books, because I really want to read them. I’m not sure if it’s going to be possible though since I average about 4 books a month. This month I have 7 books that I need/want to read this month! 7! God help me.
1. A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab — This is the first book in the Shades of Magic trilogy and my book club’s book of the month. It was my pick and I’ve wanted to read this ever since I first heard about it. I love the idea of parallel universes and am interested to see how Schwab explores this cool concept. Also V.E. Schwab or Victoria Schwab is a beloved author and I have yet to read any of her books. I really want to see what the hype surrounding this series is all about, so I’m excited to pick it up.
2. Mask of Shadows by Linsey Miller — This is the other book that I absolutely need to get to this month. I received an ARC for this in March and I have yet to pick it up. It comes out at the end of August, so I really need to get to it and give my honest thoughts. From what I can tell it features a gender fluid main character, Sal, who is a thief that is auditioning to be the Queen’s assassin. Sound familiar? I requested it because the plot sounded something I might be into, but it’s also awesome that we get a gender fluid MC. Hopefully it ends up being good. I should also mention that this is the first book in a duology.
3. The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (Percy Jackson & the Olympians #1) — I’ve finally picked up the Percy Jackson series and I’m pretty excited about it. As a comedic writer myself, I’m really looking forward to reading Riordan’s writing. He is known for being hilarious and I can’t wait to see that in this book. This is actually the book I’m current reading. It’s good so far, I’m about a quarter of the way in. So far I’m enjoying the characters and camp half-blood a lot. I can’t wait to see where the story goes.
4. Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher — I picked this book up last month and had to return it to the library before I could finish it. Thankfully, my friend Kim loaned me her copy. I don’t know why I have not finished this book yet, it’s like I’m cursed with it. I need to actually finish it so that I can finally move onto the TV show. If you’re unaware, this follows a dude, Clay Jensen, who finds these cassette tapes that Hannah Baker made. She is dead, having committed suicide, and these tapes explain the 13 reason why she did it. Trigger warnings obviously for suicide, and I think abuse as well.
5. City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare (The Mortal Instruments #6) — I finally got my hands on a copy of this book and actually, sort of, have time to read it! This is the final book in the Mortal Instruments series. The copy I have is a whopping 725 pages. The size of this book is so intimidating, but I cannot wait to read it. Everyone has been raving about Lord of Shadows and I cannot get to that series without finishing this one. I’m nervous, but excited to see what happens. I know there are major character deaths and it has me scared. I’ve just got to take the plunge though.
6. I Believe in a Thing Called Love by Maureen Goo — I’ve been excited to read this book ever since I’ve heard about it. It is a YA contemporary romance, that follows Desi who is a mess when it comes to romance. She reminds me very much of myself. This one quote from the synopsis I particularly relate to, “She’s a disaster at romance, a clumsy, stammering humiliation magnet whose botched attempts at flirting have become legendary with her friends.” What really drew me in is the fact that she’s decided to use the tricks from her dad’s favorite K dramas to find love. I am a big fan of Kpop and love the K dramas that I’ve seen. I’m excited to see the references and the tropes of a k drama played out in real life.
7. Nevernight by Jay Kristoff (Nevernight Chronicles #1) — This is another fantasy book that I’ve heard a lot of great things about. I saw that my library had a copy on its shelves and decided to pick it up. I don’t know if I’ll have time to read it with all of the other books on my TBR, but I really hope that I do. It just sounds so good and I just want to read it, okay?
Those are the official books on my TBR and I really hope I have time to read them all. Thank God July has 31 days instead of 30. I’m so afraid for this month though, because I have a lot of things to read and I’m also participating in Camp NaNoWriMo this month. My goal is to write 20,000 words for my novel, and to keep up with this blog. I’m going to die this month. Please send help!
What is on your TBR for this month? Are you planning on reading any of the books I mentioned? Are you also afraid of dying this month? Let’s chat about it in the comments.